UPCOMING WORKSHOP SCHEDULE
PLEASE VISIT MY SHOP ONLINE FOR RESERVATION AND DETAILS HERE
A WONDERFUL CALLIGRAPHY WORKSHOP RETREAT
IN GREECE !
NEXT SEPTEMBER 2023
PLEASE READ MORE BELOW
OR DOWNLOAD THE FULL DETAILS CLICK HERE
THE BEAUTIFUL ALPHABET
From the Manuscripts to Contemporary Calligraphy
Six day Workshop to be held in Pelion, Greece
16 – 23 SEPTEMBER 2023
to explore the possibilities of historical calligraphy that lead to the abstraction, by starting with 5 different old manuscripts from Medici’s Library in Florence, and 4 different hands (choosing one).
Each manuscript is unique of its kind and in its form as it is linked to a series of fortuitous, unrepeatable factors: its historical context, the precise moment in time, the calligrapher’s hand and his emotions.
During a calligraphy course of this kind, it is usually the teacher who provides a pre-constructed and pre-elaborated model of writing, but in this case the teacher will be there to encourage each student to study the fascinating letters of one of the manuscripts, its rhythm, its ligatures, its spacing, its characteristics and its uniqueness.
Following on from there, we will develop the letters of the alphabet used in our manuscript to give them a more creative and freer aspect and so DEVELOP a “new” kind of writing that is more rhythmic and dynamic, and at times illegible until it arriveS AT the abstract.
Our intention, therefore, is to breathe new life into the letters and rhythms of the past by passing them through the filter of our own personality and sensitivity, our experiences and emotions, to make them once again unique and unrepeatable again even if illegible.
At the end the exercises pages done in the course will be collected for binding and to design a little booklet of each participant’s work TO TAKE HOME.
OUTLINE PROGRAMME Saturday 16 September 2022
Arrival throughout the day and
Sunday 17 to Friday 22 September
Classes 09.45 – 13.15 and 15.30 – 18.00
Except one full day excursion – date to be confirmed
THE VENUE PLACE
The Pelion peninsula is situated opposite Evia and the island of Skiathos. It is a lush terrain with ample water from the mountain to sustain a large variety of trees, shrubs and wildflowers – indigenous and from elsewhere. There are many wild beaches surrounding the hills and valleys into which nestle the villages with their distinctive and preserved architecture.
All sessions take place at Lagou Raxi Country Hotel, and include six hours tuition per day unless stated otherwise. This is an intensive course with daily sessions. If possible participants are encouraged to add some extra days on either side of the course to make the most of this remote and stunning location either relaxing by the hotel pool, exploring the nearby villages or sampling some of the outstanding local tavernas.
Massimo will bring pens-nibs, other tools on loan use or for sale. Lagou Raxi will supply paper and all materials will be supplied as part of the fee. However more experienced participants are welcome to bring their own.
Non-participants are welcome and will join the meals and the excursion. They will be able to use the pool, the library and walk the kalderimia (stone footpaths) around the village.
▪ The studio is spacious and airy, and tables will be well spaced.According to prevailing covid circumstances we may ask you to test or mask as needed–the hotel follows all safety protocols
▪ Lessons are with a fully experienced teacher, passionate about his/her subject and students
▪ All courses are suitable for beginners, intermediate & EXPERIENCED participants
▪ We can arrange delivery of the work home if required but most students take them safely in their luggage
WHAT IS INCLUDED
▪ Five full days of tuition and one full day excursion. Studio access in the evenings if required but closed on excursion day
▪ Accommodation, breakfast, excursion (transport, taverna lunch), five light lunches and six three course dinners including Welcome and Farewell at the hotel
▪ Coffee and tea throughout the days of teaching
▪ Time for rest and relaxation on the beach, by the pool or in the village square
▪ Our library which includes the complete set of Mediterranean Garden Society journals, European bird books and other referencesto the natural world
▪ Flights are NOT included, however there are direct flights to VOLos Airport during summer periods: from London Gatwick, Munich, Duesseldorf and Vienna on certain days
▪ Alternatively there are regular flights to Athens, Skiathos or Thessaloniki
Lagou Raxi can advise on the easiest/most economical transfers from your chosen airport and will help participants to share if convenient.
PER PERSON INCLUDING TUITION + ACCOMMODATION -MEALS AS STATED ABOVE EXCURSIONAND MATERIALS
Twin double occupancy
Triple double occupancy
Single room 1243 €
+(30) 2423065144 email@example.com
MEDITERRANEAN CENTRE for Art, Gardens, Plants and Design
LAGOU RAXI A.E. Lafkos 37006 –South Pelion, Magnesia, Greece
PLEASE EMAIL ME ON THE TUSCANY WORKSHOP IF YOU WANT TO REGISTER OR NEED MORE DETAIL
ONLY REGISTRATION FOR WAITING LIST
OR FOR MAY 2024 EDITION
Contact Massimo to get any informations and details about the upcoming workshops.
YOU CAN PLAN A PRIVATE INTERNATIONAL GROUP WORKSHOP AT MY STUDIO IN TORINO: already had group from Russia, Usa, Korea
YOU CAN PLAN INDIVIDUAL LESSONS WITH MASSIMO OR TAKE PART AT THE GROUP LESSONS EVERY TUESDAY AFTERNOON FROM 2PM TO 6PM AVAILABLE ALL TIME OF THE YEAR
Workshop topics: short list
- Order And Chaos_ Roman Capital With Brush To The Dripping Writing
- The Dancing Of The Line_the Roman Cursive As Pure Line In The Space
- Moving Lines_ Arabic And Syriac Hand And Letterpress
- From Calligraphy To Fonts From Fonts To Calligraphy
- Rhythm, Sound And Writing
- The Beautiful Alphabets: From The Manuscripts To The Contemporary Calligraphy
- Emptiness And Fulness: The Calligraphy Composition
- Calligraphy Book
- The African Alphabet
- and many others on request
Students at Istituto Europeo di Design
abc atelier studio_turin